Bill Bryson - Notes from a Small Island

 


Maybe I should have read this book before reading "The Road to Little Dribbling". Now this book - first published in 1995 - feels a bit dated. How fast things can change and certainly not always for the best.
Like "The Road..." this is the report of a journey across Britain. Bill Bryson has a unique style of writing, a little bit of cynism is something to be expected at least. It leads to sometimes hilarious anecdotes that made me laugh aloud. To be fair, I unwillingly kept comparing this book to "The Road...". In that book I recognised many more things I have noticed with my own eyes, heard with my own ears which led to me laughing a lot more than with this one. I certainly love it that he doesn't spare himself for a laugh. I can recommend it, but be certain that you read this book before reading "The Road...".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shrines of Gaiety - Kate Atkinson

Ireland, a History - Thomas Bartlett

Human Croquet - Kate Atkinson