Jon McGregor - If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things

 


The first thing I noticed was that the writer doesn't honour the rules of grammar. I'm that kind of reader most of the time, but when you can write like this, I think you are allowed to make your own rules. It's a great book; I immediately felt a sort of relationship with "Under Milk Wood" by Dylan Thomas and "Ulysses" by James Joyce. It's about an ordinary world, it could be around the corner of our street, but the specialty of it will be etched in my brain for a very long time. The book made quite a big impression on me. There is a melancholy in the story that is never outspoken, but simmers between the lines. There are also a few questions you notice and even when you think you might know the answers you read on while it's a book about real life and life always throws surprises to you. I can recommend this book wholeheartedly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shrines of Gaiety - Kate Atkinson

Ireland, a History - Thomas Bartlett

Human Croquet - Kate Atkinson