Virginia Woolf - Orlando

 


I cheated a bit because I didn't completely read it. It felt like having to do an assignment for school. I would rather read something I enjoy. I could see that Virginia Woolf was an excellent writer, but this was too much for me.
It's a love declaration towards Vita Sackville-West and in itself quite adorable for that purpose, but the result is summing up her qualities and comparing them to other people and things, and causing lots and lots of lists of people (imaginery and real) and things.
I watched the excellent film Vita & Virginia with Gemma Arterton and Elizabeth Debicki which made me curious about the book.
The book was very disappointing for me, probably because it is quite dated. Maybe I would have read it with different eyes in the period when she wrote it.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shrines of Gaiety - Kate Atkinson

Ireland, a History - Thomas Bartlett

Human Croquet - Kate Atkinson