Will Dean - Dark Pines

 


I really enjoyed reading this mystery book. It's always more believable when the sleuth has a handicap or domestic troubles. In this case the sleuth is a deaf newspaper reporter. The red herrings are as great as the plot and I am a bit familiar with the area in which the story is situated. I once had a cycling holiday in Värmland, remember the endless woods and the people who are very much keeping themselves to themselves. If they were willing to answer my simple question "How far away is the next town?" it would always be "Zwo Kilometer". In the end you don't ask anymore. I loved to see what in the Netherlands is called the Droste effect, official name for this is "mise en abyme". In the book a writer is asking a deaf person how things work being like that, while I know that the writer of this book, Will Dean, had to ask for this information himself. A funny touch, will not be recognised by everyone. I noticed too that there is a lot about nice food in the book. Maybe Will Dean is thinking about writing a cookbook? All in all I certainly will read the sequel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shrines of Gaiety - Kate Atkinson

Ireland, a History - Thomas Bartlett

Human Croquet - Kate Atkinson