Ireland, a History - Thomas Bartlett



This is quite a good book, but I only give it 4 stars for a few reasons.

While I learned a lot about the Irish independence war, the civil war, the Troubles, the Plantation, the reasons why Ireland was for so long a colony of England I did not like a few things.

The writer often tells us the same thing twice, three times or even more. This happens on the same page or on following pages. Words can be altered, but it still will be the same.
While I feel for the Irish and almost feel angry about what I read the writer has a lot of understanding for the English. I was a bit amazed by that, because the writer is being born in Northern Ireland.
I also feel he could have included more about musicians like Phil Lynott and others who played in North and South during the Troubles.
I won't forgive the writer for mentioning a country named Holland three times. When people talk I don't mind it too much, but in a work like this I do. There is no country with the name "Holland". There is a country named The Netherlands and two of their provinces (maybe you would say Counties) have the name North and South Holland. There are 12 provinces.
Last thing bothering me is the feeling that the writer imagines what politicians and common people think and selling this as factual information. I don't think that is right.

All in all I learned a lot about the history of Ireland reading this book and I can recommend it if you would like to learn more about Ireland and it's history.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shrines of Gaiety - Kate Atkinson

Human Croquet - Kate Atkinson